Surf and Yoga - Peniche Portugal
Our Surf Camp in Areia Branca (Peniche) devised a special yoga and massage programme for surfers:
Together with the osteopath Dr. Diva Nobrega and NAPURAMA, a centre for alternative therapies located in Praia da Areia Branca, our surf camp in Areia Branca devised a special yoga and massage programme for surfers which aims at:
- Improving your physical abilities for a more efficient training
- Alleviating minor physical problems
- Enhancing the state of a deep relaxation and well-being so many people experience after surfing, turning your holidays into a real break from the stress and problems you may have in your every-day life
With these lessons you can achieve:
- A faster improvement in surfing
- A better physical and mental preparation
- A better breathing technique
Practicing yoga with us, you can steadily improve your breathing and your physical and mental abilities with controlled, low-impact exercises. The yoga lessons for surfers consist of:
- Asana (physical and mental postures)
- Pránáyáma (breathing techniques)
- Yoganidra (relaxation techniques)
After Surf Massage
The objective of the therapy is to restore the flexibility of the joints by loosening minor muscle contractions and correcting mechanical imbalances caused by the unusual exercise.
Nothing better to relax after a day surfing!
Additional effects of the massage:
- Strengthens your immune system
- Stimulates the production of endorphins (natural analgesic)
- Stimulates the blood circulation and the body’s defence mechanisms
- Regulates the muscle tonus
- Creates a great feeling of emotional and physical well-being
THERAPIST: Dr. Diva Nóbrega
QUALIFICATIONS: Certified Osteopath
Surf Fitness Program
Important: Before beginning this program, be sure that there is a skilled professional to guide you correctly. Always warm up and stretch correctly before and after the exercises.
Running: Practice for 20 minutes in regular speed as a warm up before the exercises. In the last two minutes switch to side or backwards running to warm up the knees, hips and ankle joints.
Along of 3 weeks increase the number of repetitions for a better development and muscular endurance. Practice at least four times a week
Begin without any weight, as in the pictures. As the weeks pass, ask your gym trainer to guide you in using a bar with weights
The best exercise to increase back muscles and to condition you for long surfing hours.
Begin with 3 sets of 5 repetitions.
If it's too easy or too heavy, adjust to your muscular endurance, always maintaining 3 sets.
Dorsal and leg raises
Usually, the student without back conditioning feels pain after a few hour of surfing.
Begin with 3 sets of 10 repetitions holding 4 seconds.
Swimming : Basic requirement for your participation in the course. Practice front crawl, because besides improving your efficiency on the paddling, it assures you the necessary safety in the water. Respect the sea.
Rowing/Paddling : Use a body board or a float and practice this basic concept for a good development during the classes (a surf board is not necessary for this practice). Row, at least, 200 meters in the first class and in each session try to increase the distance. It's advisable three times per week.
Sub aquatic swimming : Practice for a better control of your breathing under water. Having better breath you will be providing against eventual suffocation or dangerous situations that we are exposed to when surfing.
Every program proposed above can be adapted to each individual's endurance and fitness. In case you consider this program heavy, decrease the repetitions, but concentrate in developing your conditioning each week.